5th May 2020
During the lockdown, surgeries have suspended the provision of routine dental care in accordance with the latest government guidelines. We have taken this essential step for the safety of patients and staff during the COVID-19 pandemic, so while your regular dental check-ups and hygienist visits aren’t possible, we want to make sure you have the right information to take care of your teeth at home.
Here, the High St Dental Care team give you the expert advice you need to maintain good oral health while in lockdown.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day. It’s essential you maintain your usual oral hygiene routine. Brush your teeth for two minutes each time to remove plaque, using a fluoride toothpaste. If your dental professional has given you any individual advice on brushing in the past, make sure you follow this closely.
- Don’t neglect the floss. This will clean between your teeth, which is essential for good oral hygiene and gum health. It’s important you floss once a day, especially while it’s not possible to visit the hygienist.
- Maintain a healthy diet. It’s always advisable to eat a healthy balanced diet and to carefully control your sugar intake, and never more so than in lockdown. Sugar can lead to tooth decay, so try swapping fizzy drinks for water and sugary snacks for a healthier alternative. This is especially important while routine dental care isn’t available.
- Help your children look after their teeth. Make sure your children are in a healthy routine throughout lockdown. If you have a young baby, you should start brushing their teeth as soon as they come through.
- Contact a professional if you have a dental emergency. We can still provide a telephone triage service for urgent dental emergencies. Please call 01664 562092 during our normal opening hours and our reception team will assist you. This service is available Monday-Friday, 8:30am-5:00pm.
Remember to follow this advice carefully to maintain good oral health while in lockdown due to the coronavirus pandemic.
We hope that you and your family are staying safe during this challenging time. We look forward to welcoming you back to our practice once lockdown is lifted and it’s safe to carry out routine dental appointments.
In the meantime, if you have a dental emergency, please contact us on 01664 562092 during our normal opening hours.