Regular Dental Check Up
Visiting the dentist is an essential part of your healthcare routine, and you should visit your dentist around every 6 months to one year. So why is a dental check up important?
Here are some of the reasons why you should never delay a dental appointment:
- It can prevent gum disease and tooth decay: You will receive thorough cleans from your dentist or hygienist, and they will show you how to brush your teeth and floss. This is really important for your long-term oral health.
- You should check you don’t need any fillings:You will often feel pain or sensitivity if you need a filling, but this isn’t always the case. A dentist will be able to examine your teeth closely to make sure you don’t need any new fillings.
- X-rays should be carried out regularly: By taking an x-ray, your dentist can identify problems that may not be visible or that may be in their very early stages. They can clearly look for signs of conditions like tooth cavities, cysts and abscesses. They can also look at wisdom teeth to see if they are likely to cause problems.
- Dentists can spot many other health problems during a check up: Dentists can identify all kinds of illnesses, some very serious. For example, they can spot signs or oral cancer, which usually begins as small red or white lesions within the mouth. A dentist doesn’t just examine your mouth, either – they can also examine your jaw, face and lymph nodes to check everything looks ok.
- It will put your mind at rest: Even if you have perfect oral health and don’t need any treatment, you will be relieved to know this is the case. People who attend regular check ups can rest assured they are doing the very best for their health.
If you haven’t seen a dentist in a while, please don’t worry. We often see patients who haven’t had a check up for various reasons, and many are very nervous or have a phobia of the dentist. We will always take the time to put you at ease and make your dental examination comfortable for you.